If you’re a firearms enthusiast, chances are you’ve come across those mysterious sealed metal containers known as “spam cans.” These cans hold a treasure trove of 7.62x39mm ammunition, but getting to that ammo can be a bit of a puzzle, especially if you don’t have a specialized opener on hand. In this article, we’ll walk you through how to open a 7.62x39mm spam can both with and without an opener.
Opening with an Opener:
- Gather Your Tools: To use an opener, you’ll need the can opener itself and, of course, the spam can. Make sure you have a stable surface to work on.
- Inspect the Can: Examine the spam can for any damage or rust. It’s essential to ensure it’s in good condition before proceeding.
- Position the Can: Place the can on a flat, stable surface with the lid facing up. The lid typically has a small lip around its edge.
- Attach the Opener: Your spam can opener should have two prongs. Position these prongs on opposite sides of the can’s lip.
- Apply Pressure: Push down firmly on the opener’s handle while keeping it centered on the lid. You’ll feel the prongs puncture the metal.
- Rotate the Can: With the opener in place, start rotating the can counterclockwise. This motion should cause the lid to gradually separate from the can.
- Remove the Lid: Once you’ve rotated the can almost completely, you can carefully lift off the lid. Be cautious, as the edges may be sharp.
Opening Without an Opener:
- Safety First: When opening a spam can without an opener, prioritize safety. Wear protective gloves to avoid cuts.
- Gather Supplies: You’ll need a flathead screwdriver, a hammer or mallet, and a towel or cloth.
- Inspect the Can: Just like with the opener method, check the can for any damage or rust.
- Position the Can: Place the can on a stable surface with the lid facing up.
- Create a Gap: Using the flathead screwdriver, carefully insert it between the lid and the can’s body at the edge. Tap the screwdriver’s handle with the hammer to create a small gap.
- Work Your Way Around: Once you have a gap started, continue moving the screwdriver around the lid’s edge, gently prying it up as you go.
- Lift the Lid: As you work your way around the lid, it will gradually become separated from the can. Once it’s loose enough, you can carefully lift it off.
Conclusion: Opening a 7.62x39mm spam can can be a satisfying experience, whether you use a specialized opener or opt for the manual method. Remember to exercise caution when using tools and always prioritize safety. Now that you’ve unlocked the treasure trove of ammunition inside, you can get back to enjoying your shooting sessions with fresh rounds from your spam can.